Complaints and Complaints Resolution Procedures
Procedures for Handling Complaints
We consider that a complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction by a client, with a request to remedy it. We also believe that most complaints arise from a failure to communicate properly with the client. We are required to have internal complaint handling procedures that at a minimum comply with Australian Standard AS 4269 1995.
If we receive a complaint directly from a client we should:
- Ascertain what it is that the client is complaining about;
- Explain the internal process for complaint handling and the options available to the complainant;
- Explain to the complainant that their complaint will be given fair and due consideration, it is a free service and a response will be forthcoming in 14 days and that if this time period is not achievable then notification will be provided with the expected time;
- Inform the complainant of the options available if the resolution is not to their satisfaction or the complaint is not resolved within 45 days;
- Record exactly what the client is complaining about;
- We record the complaint in a complaints register as soon as it is notified to us. Unless it can be resolved immediately we send an acknowledgement letter to the complainant.
- Every endeavour is made to resolve complaints promptly but in any event they are to be resolved within 45 days from date of receipt of the complaint. If they are not resolved within this timeframe they must be referred to the external dispute resolution scheme.
External Complaints Resolution Procedures
We are also required to be a member of an external complaint handling body approved by ASIC. To fulfil this requirement we are members of the Financial Ombudsman Service Limited (FOS) ABN 67 131 124 448.
Even though the FSG contains information about the complaints process we are to inform a client of the process, the existence of the external body and their right to take a complaint to that body if they are dissatisfied with the resolution or the response has not been received within 45 days of our receipt of the complaint.
Further information regarding FOS can be found at their website www.fos.org.au or they may be contacted on 1300 78 08 08.